Made shaders, vfx, tools, rigs, and provided project-wide troubleshooting
Description of Work
- Created shaders for characters, environments, and vfx
- Made filters for Substance Painter to improve Character artist workflow
- Rigged characters and props
- Created character skill and ambient visual effects
- Set up anim blueprints and in-engine rig solutions in Unreal Engine 4
- Created post process materials for screen space effects
- Profiled and improved performance
- Developed tools for improved animation workflow
- Provided troubleshooting support for art team and engine-specific knowledge for engineering
- Wrote documentation for art pipelines
Shaders & VFX
I created textures, shaders, and vfx for characters and environments throughout the game. Much of the game has gone through evolution since I worked on the project. I worked on post process effects for an xray vision ability for an unreleased character. I also made things like post process effects for grappling and launching, and vfx for landing and hit effects. My favorite effect I worked on was Ziggy’s first ultimate where he turned into a huge pink storm cloud over the entire map that sent down powerful lightning strikes, but alas that didn’t make it past design iteration.
Below you can see the shader work I did for Ziggy’s head. There’s a Fresnel alpha out effect, in addition to the noise convolution in the pixel shader. In the vertex shader, I mostly used some basic math to create wispy gaseous movement.
You can also see the gas of his body visible through the window in his chest and in his gun.
Here’s another look, with some ambient stuff I worked on as well, such as enemy target beams and environment console screens.
Ziggy’s head used in-engine rigging solutions to convey a sense of the gas drifting behind him.
Here, you can see the small details in Sumo’s eye and skin shaders that I worked on.
I did the first pass of his rig and created animations for his visor and eyes.
I worked on explosion, shotgun, and grapple vfx.
Here is a version of his Slam attack and jetpack effect that I worked on.
For more project details, please visit the Official Website